Saturday, April 14, 2018

Family

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another’s desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. 

Erma Bombeck

Family.  We've had a bit of turmoil to say the least.  My husband had a nasty cold and ended up have COPD exasperation.  I had to call the ambulance, and he spent the week before Christmas in the hospital.  Came home Christmas Eve morning.  My son and his (still not) girlfriend came over, and we had a nice quiet evening to a point.  My son was supposed to pick us up on Christmas Day to head over to Pennsylvania to spend our first family Christmas ever, but about 9 pm Christmas Eve we received a call that my daughter had fallen and fractured her ankle.  It was a bad break and emergency surgery was needed.  Pins were inserted to hold everything together, and because we have been unable to get everyone together, we have still not celebrated Christmas.  We're hoping in May.  My two granddaughters are both nurses and when one has the weekend off, the other has to work, and vice verse. We'll get it together soon I hope...before my great granddaughters outgrow the dolls I bought them.

And now some good family news.  My granddaughter is pregnant with my 7th great grandchild, a girl), who is to be born in July.  As my granddaughter says, "This child will know that I am her grandmother from the start" unlike the other 6 who still consider my mom grandma and me a stranger.  Hoping that will change one day, but for now, I am grateful for what I have.  Family is everything.  

Some recent family pics:

 My daughter's surprise birthday party. 
 My granddaughter.
 My grandson's girlfriend, Megan.
 My son, Tahnee (his want to be girlfriend) and myself on Christmas Eve
 Easter Sunday with the family.  My son, daughter, and her new boyfriend.
 My daughter, grandson, and his girlfriend, Megan.
 My crazy son and daughter with asparagus.

It's already 59 and expected to rise into the 80's.  Heading out to the park today for a day in the fresh air.  Have a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for new grandbabies! I hope everyone (you and your husband especially) remain healthy. Keep on enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope there are no more health issues for you and yours to contend with.
    And love that you will be a part of the new grandbaby's life.

    ReplyDelete